You Are Here:
Home > How to Decorate Ceramic Mug?
Create your own work of art on ceramic mugs with our tips on how to decorate ceramic mugs! With a glass paint, ceramic paint, paint brush, ceramic marker, stencil, or decal on hand plus an oven, you can decorate a lot of ceramic mugs even at the comfort of your home. Check out our DIY tips below about how to decorate ceramic mugs and try to enjoy these simple DIY decorating crafts with your family and friends.
Decorate Ceramic Mugs with Stickers
Perhaps the easiest and quickest thing that you can do, with decorating ceramic mugs with stickers, you can simply print your personalized design on a sticker paper, cut them into shape, and stick them on the surface of your ceramic mug.
This is a perfect idea when using ceramic mugs as table numbers for weddings and parties, as place card holders, and when giving ceramic mugs for gifts to family and friends with a design that you would not want to ruin. You can simply wrap your ceramic mug gift inside an organza bag or a plastic pouch, and then fill them with flowers, candies, or a pack of coffee or chocolate to make them look more fun and exciting.
Draw Stick Figures Using Ceramic Markers
You can think of ceramic markers as specially-designed pens for use in writing or drawing on ceramic mugs. Ceramic markers come in many different color inks and you can find them in craft stores as a squeeze-tube ceramic marker, which releases a thick, gel-like paint, or exactly like permanent markers for paper, which write the same way as the latter.
You can use ceramic markers to write a short message or draw stick figures on the surface of the ceramic mug. You can also apply them in different colors for a colorful effect and, most importantly, bake the ceramic mugs inside the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes to make your design permanent. Important tips:
- Check the ceramic marker's label about how many minutes and at what temperature you need to bake your ceramic mugs to make their design permanent.
- You can also go for glass markers if ceramic markers are not available in your nearest craft store.
- Unless you use a food-safe ceramic marker, do not paint your design close to the rim or inside the ceramic mug where it can come in contact with the beverage or food.
- Have a cotton swab and alcohol ready, which can help you to erase the wrong strokes that you have made while working on the design of your ceramic mugs.
- Put your ceramic mugs inside the oven before you turn it so that your mugs heat up slowly and do not get stressed by the sudden heat, which may cause it to break.
Save Your Photos and Scrapbook Designs on Ceramic Mugs
Want to give grandma a ceramic mug gift that is specially-designed with newborn baby's footprints? Or, save your scrapbook designs on ceramic mugs? Simply take a picture of them and then save your digital photo on ceramic mugs using a decal, which is a specially-designed paper with a glossy and transparent surface and a white backing that detaches on its own after a few seconds that you dip the decal in water. To decorate ceramic mugs with decals:
- Start by taking the dimension of the surface of the ceramic mug, which will be decorated with your design. You can simply use a ruler to take the height of cylinder-shaped, flat-bottomed ceramic mugs, but for mugs with curvy sides, you can lay a thread to find the needed width and height of the picture, and then lay the thread on a ruler to get the size.
- Re-size your photo on a photo-editing software and then test-print your design using ordinary paper. If you have achieved the right image size, re-print it on the decal and let dry.
- Lay your printed decal on a flat surface and spray a decal fixative coating, holding the fixate spray can approximately 3 inches away from the decal. Allow the fixative coating to dry and then spray a thicker coating to bring out its gloss. This time, let the decalís fixative spray dry for about 24 hours.
- Cut the decal to image size and dip the decal in a bowl of water for about 30 seconds, or until the edge of the paper backing starts to detach.
- Slowly stick the transparent image over the mug's surface while your wet hands gently slides the paper backing away from the decal.
- Ensure your decal sticks flat and be sure to remove air and bubbles that lie underneath. Let your decal dry on the mug and then bake the mug for about 30 minutes at 325 to 350 degrees Fahrenheit in an oven.
Decorate Ceramic Mugs with Patterns and Stamps
Want a very hands-on approach to decorating ceramic mugs? Then painting your ceramic mugs is the decorating style to go. You can use patterns from a stencil, an easy-to-cut design that is printed on a transparency paper or cartolina, or plastic doilies, and paint them on the ceramic mugs using an oven bake ceramic paint or an acrylic paint. To do this:
- Lay your stencil or pattern over the mug's surface. You can also secure them with a scotch tape.
- With the use of a brush or a sponge, apply or blot the paint. Air-dry for 24 to 48 hours.
- When using a ceramic paint, remove the pattern for your design and then bake the mug inside an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes, or according to manufacturer's instructions. When using an acrylic paint, apply gloss finishing spray to seal the design and then wait for it to dry before removing the pattern.
Be sure to use food-safe ceramic paint, acrylic paint, and gloss finishing spray when using your mugs for beverages or giving them for gifts. Your recipients may want to use them for their everyday cup of coffee or you can include a special note that it is for decoration and keepsake only.
Decorate Ceramic Mugs for Wedding Favors, Gifts, and Party Giveaways
Every mug wedding favor, gift, and party giveaway is not complete without the gift wrap, which, simultaneously, is key to making your ceramic mugs appear like a non-traditional gift.
Decorate ceramic mugs that are wrapped inside organza bags by filling them with foil-packed chocolates in different colors, a pack of coffee that your guests have yet to try, or chocolate rounds that they can enjoy with your ceramic mug wedding favor.
You can also make use of your personalized ceramic mugs as double-purpose gift by filling them with baked desserts like brownies and decorate them in such a way that suits your special occasion's theme.
If you are looking for more ways on how to wrap ceramic mugs for wedding favors, gifts, and party giveaways, you surely have come to the right place as we got in almost every page of our online store simple DIY tips on how to make your wedding mugs and party ceramic mug favors stylish and perfect for all special occasions.